Friday, February 19, 2016

Harper Lee Dies at 89

“There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible.” -Harper Lee

It's sad to hear that Harper Lee has passed away. To Kill A Mockingbird was the first American "classic" that I read. It was arguably one of the best required readings I've encountered in an English course. Lee's book taught me so much about history, society, and personal morality. It taught me about the ugly things in this world in a very age-appropriate manner, and Lee was able to provide us a character who was courageous enough to challenge that ugliness even when he knows that he has no chance of succeeding and inspire an audience of readers to be the same.

There's a an inexplicable beauty to literature when it makes you like the story and the message so much that you feel a true connection with the author. I felt that connection with Harper Lee. And even though she is no longer alive, that connection will always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spread the Message